Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

1/01/2010

Tau Yu Chicken (Dark soy sauce chicken)



Here's another dish that hubby and I love though the usual one that my mother-in-law cooks is tau yu bak (dark soy sauce pork). I love that too and will be cooking that on Sunday!
It's my maiden attempt cooking this actually and it turned out to be, in my hubby's words, as nice as his mum's. That's certainly a compliment since his mum seems to be the benchmark for good cooking and I do enjoy most of the food that she cooks too.
Tau Yu Chicken
Ingredients:
  • 3 chicken thighs (skin removed, chopped into chunks)
  • 5 cloves garlic (keep them in the clove so you can suck out the garlic later :D)
  • 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1.5 star anise
  • 4-5 dashes cracked black peppercorns (use whole ones if you don't like to bite into the peppercorns)
  • 200ml water
  • 6 mushrooms
  • quail eggs (hard-boiled) - optional (this time I didn't add them coz I already cooked steamed variety egg... too many EGGS!)
Marinate chicken with:
  • chicken marinade
  • sugar
  • oyster sauce
  • sesame oil
  • cornflour
  • ground black pepper
Method:
  1. Marinate chicken (preferably overnight) with the seasonings stated above.
  2. Add the sugar to the wok and let it caramelise.
  3. Add in the chicken and stir-fry for a minute or so.
  4. Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
  5. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour or till gravy thickens to a consistency of your liking.

For toddler's consumption:
  • Remove the chicken meat from the bones before serving.
  • Serve with less gravy for a healthier option.

1 comment:

  1. oh my oh my! this is one of my fav recipes!!! can send to me please?!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave simplymommie a kind message

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...