Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

9/12/2009

The frustrations of taking care of my ill baby

I just need to vent my frustrations a little. My darling has been fussing since Tuesday night. For two nights in a row, she cried and refused to (and couldn't) sleep properly. On the first night, we thought we heard a little bit of phelgm but other than that, she was perfectly well. I had to nurse her almost every hour just so that she would calm down and rest for awhile. She was still alright on Wednesday morning but when night came and it was time for bed, she cried and fussed again. Thursday morning, the phelgm got worse and I detected a slight cough so I brought her to the doctor. He said she's got flu symptoms but there was no fever and her throat was alright (thank God!). He prescribed three types of medicine: one for her cough, one for phelgm and the last one to clear her airway. That afternoon after she took her medicine, she nursed to sleep and slept for five hours straight. I thought she was feeling better and would be able to sleep better at night but she refused to sleep till it was almost 4am. I'm so very tired because I can't seem to rest in the day even when she's taking her nap. I can't get to sleep even though I'm so wasted and groggy. I hate that feeling! It reminds me of my confinement month when I was practically a walking zombie.

Finally, I got some proper rest last night and am more sane today because she could sleep properly from 2am till 9am this morning. Oh, but we were rudely awoken at 4am because she fell off our bed (she was sharing our bed and was sleeping between us - we usually let her share our bed when she's ill). She rolled off the foot of the bed (we don't really know how) but we think it was a pretty bad knock because it was really a very loud thud. Poor darling! After that, we placed her back into her cot for her own safety - she cried for awhile but fell asleep on her own and we had our much needed sleep till 9+am today.

It's not just the lack of sleep that gets to me whenever she's sick. Her lack of appetite worries me too because I hate to see her lose weight (because she takes so long to put on weight)! Recently she's put on weight because she's been eating better and just when we were so happy about it, she had to fall ill. Obviously, her appetite's bad because of the flu and there's nothing we can do about it. I even tried to give her Pediasure to make up for the 'lost' meal yesterday when she hardly ate her dinner! She drank 50ml and refused the rest. Today I tried again when she refused lunch but she tasted it and decided that she'd give it a pass. It's the first time I've given her formula milk since she was 1 month old. Maybe she's just not used to the taste of other types of milk other than mine (which I'm not sure if it's a good thing because I had been hoping that she'd at least accept Pediasure so that we could feed her a bit of that when she decides to be fussy and skips her meals, even on normal days). Anyway, the only things she's agreed to eat today and last night are apple and muesli muffins (which I just baked yesterday) and Gerber stars. And fortunately, she still wants my breast milk...

An ill, fussy and crying baby really tests the limits of one's patience... and sanity. Fortunately, I have my hubby to go through this with me... if not, I might be mad by now...

4 comments:

  1. hugzz..

    jumpy sometimes does that too though she is not sick at alL! i dunno y.. she sometimes wakes up every 2hrs at night! its not seldom somemore.. maybe 2-4 times a mth she will be doing that.. sometimes i keep thinking of the possible reasons eg had a meal too late? unable to digest watever food i gave her in the day? not having enough to eat in the day? stomachache? but always cant get an ans myself..at least alicia dosent do that often like jumpy! hehe.

    hopefully she is feeling much better now. take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's not feeling better... in fact she sounds worse. Taking her to another doc tomorrow. Actually wanted to bring her to that doc initially but the doc's wife was in labour that day so I went to another doc. Sigh... in the end still have to go back to him. Waste my $$$... Plus now I'm not feeling well too. Kenna her germs... sigh... one of the worst things that can happen to a mummy is to be sick and yet still have to look after a sick baby... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. yah thats wat happened to me last time.. i got asthma attack together with flu n fever! then whole bodyache due to fever and no strength at all.. then cant breathe, cant stand.. yet have to take care of my girl! then i burst out into tears a few times cos feeling so miserable.. can understand your pains.. hope she gets well soon. take care yea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Saw the doc together with her today. Doc says it's a very strong bug and if her phelgm still doesn't clear up by the end of Monday, must bring her back on Tuesday. She's lost 400g so far in less than a week. So sad. She takes so long to put on wt but loses it all so fast! :((

    ReplyDelete

Please leave simplymommie a kind message

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...